May 8 2011
To keep his sanity while helping to merge more than 300 square miles of polygonal terrain, IRC 3D Animator Phillip Thomas took breaks (though he doesn’t drink coffee) and modeled David Burnes’ house from 1790. David Burnes’ farmhouse sat at what is now 17th and B Street, NW. Much of Burnes’ pre-revolutionary war plantation became the National Mall, South White House Lawn and the Pan American Annex. There are numerous photographs and drawings of his house, because it stood until 1894 when it was finally razed. For example, the above photograph is of Burnes’ house, but the group is unidentified. However, these few photographs are the only information we have. The King Plat that maps out his estate and buildings can not be located. To see Thomas’ test model and more pictures of David Burnes’ farmhouse –> We received some great feedback on our first tests of the cottage and have incorporated them into these version 2 models.
In the early stage of modeling and layout, 3D animator, Phil Thomas, puts a roughed out model into the photograph to make comparisons of size and scale.
Following are additional images we have located of Burnes’ Farmhouse. Our favorite is the first one below. It has the Washington Monument in the background (Thanks to PGCist on Flickr).